Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Young Women Lesson Plan and Handouts Manual 3 lesson 18 Temple Marriage

*I go to here almost every time I am preparing a lesson for Young Women. This is a lesson I taught to the combined group of Young Women. The Lesson is Manual 3 lesson 18 Temple Marriage and I loved teaching this one. What a fun topic!


*The idea for my cupcake theme came from here I made two cupcakes. One that isn't frosted and one that looks yummy but is fake (only frosting). I baked only a tablespoon or two of batter in the cupcake paper and before frosting it I filled the paper with a Styrofoam ball. Then I frost it. (I got this idea on sugar doodle, but I can't find it again or I'd post a link.) I had someone try the cupcakes and then explained how you need the cake AND the frosting to have a perfect cupcake. It's the same with a husband. You want him to have the fun "icing" qualities like good looks, sense of humor, athletic ability, blonde hair, whatever, but you need the "cake" qualities like, loves the Lord, follows the commandments, treats people kindly as well.




*This is my version of the cake vs frosting handout. (Click on the picture FOR A PRINTABLE VERSION.) The girls just write what they want in a husband in the appropriate category. After they consider the qualities they want their husband to have. I asked them to take another look at their list and ask themselves if they have the same qualities. Like attracts like. Odds are, they will marry someone who is similar to them in many ways.



*I made a giant cup cake as the centerpiece (picture below.) and served it after the lesson.






*These are my handouts. Just a reminder for them to take home. I made them with my Cricut. I LOVE this machine with all of my heart! I used the Simply Charmed and All Mixed Up Cartridges. (I NEVER pay full price for cartridges. Wait for sales or check ebay and similar sites.) I also have a pdf copy you can print here (orange) and here (pink). You can cut them out tie the tag to the cupcake with ribbon or string (I used hemp. I found it in the jewlry section). I also have jpeg (photo) version of it below. Just click on the picture and click on "save picture as", save it to your pictures and then print it of as a 4x6 photo on your printer or download it to costco, sam's or wherever you print your photos.









*Maybe when they are dating these cute girls will remember the things they really want most in a husband and they won't settle for just anything. less. Maybe I'll share one of my favorite thoughts with them---A Chief cause of failure is when we give up what we want most for what we want this minute.


Below is my outline for this lesson. It may be a little redundant, but I thought it was more clear.

I Cupcake object lesson
a. Two cupcakes. one with frosting, one without frosting. Ask girls which one they would rather eat. Most of the girls will pick the cupcake that has frosting because it looks better, is more appetizing, and is sweeter. After the girls decide which one looks better ask a girl to come up and take a bite out of one of the cupcakes. When she picks up the frosted cupcake she'll know immediately that there is something wrong with it because it will be very light. There is actually only a tiny bit of cupcake and the rest is a styrofoam ball. It's frosted and looks beautiful, but you wouldn't want to bite into it. Allow her the bite it or take it apart being careful not to embarrass her. The lesson...neither cupcake is the complete package. You wouldn't want a cupcake that's only icing, but a cupcake without frosting isn't any fun either. It's the same when looking for a husband. You don't want a guy who is only icing; good looking, charming, athletic, etc, but has no cake; high standards, kind, hard working, committed to the gospel, loves the Lord, etc. You want the icing too though. And that's okay.

II. Cake vs icing Cards
Pass out the cards and a pencil to each girl. Have them think about and start writing a few of the qualities that they want in a husband.
Have them take a second look at the list and them ask themselves if they themselves posses these same qualities. Explain that like cleaveth unto like. They are likely to marry their equals. It is so important to be the kind of person you want to marry. If you are a person who works hard and accomplishes what you set out to do, you will attract someone who has these same qualities. If you aren't really committed to the gospel and are unsure of your testimony, you are likely to attract someone who has a similar attitude. If you want to marry the right person...be the right person.

III. At the Bishops retreat the special guest speakers were President and Sister Joyce. President Joyce was the mission president in Ogden a few years ago. Sister Joyce said that many people, including former missionaries from their mission ask her the single most important thing to consider when choosing who to marry. She always gives them two. 1. Marry someone who has a deep love for the Savior. 2. Marry someone who is your friend. Someone you laugh with and confide in and enjoy being with.

IV. "A chief cause of failure and happiness is when we give up what we want most for what we want this minute.". This quote totally applies to marriage! You want to keep yourself clean and worthy to marry THE right guy in the temple. If you are dating someone you know isn't Mr. Right break up and move on. You aren't going to meet Mr. right if you are dating Mr. Wrong. If you want to be obedient and pure and marry a great guy who is obedient and pure...you need to obey the commandments. No dating or pairing off before age 16. No steady dating while you're in high school. Guys aren't supposed to steady date before their missions so if you are steady dating a guy who hasn't gone on a mission yet, you are not following the rules. Don't give up what you want most for what you want right now! If you are doing something you are finding you can't be honest with your parents about...STOP!

This post was featured on Sugardoodle.com

4 comments:

Dustin and Kellie said...

What a cute idea! Thanks for the lesson helps! Love to give lessons in fun memorable ways, but can't always come up with how to do it!

SUZY said...

Hi Kellie,
Thanks for the sweet comment. I'm glad you found my blog and I hope you'll be able to find some more ideas to help with your lessons. Working with the Young Women is such a blast. I love it!

Have a great day,
Suzy

Kramer Family said...

In preparing my lesson for my young women,I read the lesson and then went to pinterest to get the icing on the cake.....and I was drawn towards your link. Thanks for taking the time to share such a great lesson! I have my cupcakes, my quotes, my notes and your comments that inspired me! thanks so much for sharing!!! I even took the time to write a little note of gratitude to my husband and put it in his pocket before he left to speak in another ward. (as inspired by Richard G Scott's talk).

Suzy Q said...

Kramer Family, thanks so much for your comment. I'm so glad that you were able to find these ideas useful. I hope your lesson went well. Thank you for taking the time to comment. I love that you slipped your husband a note. I bet he loved it!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...