Tuesday, November 22, 2011

My Mod Podged Sewing Table and a new sewing machine!

Pin It


    I have been seeing a lot of furniture on Pinterest that has fabric or paper ModPodged to it, so when I found this sewing table at the thrift store I just had to try it.  I had some left over fabric from the chairs I recovered for my craftroom.  (I posted pictures HERE.)       
I spray painted the whole thing orange.  (The orange looks kind of obnoxious here, but in "real life" it looks cute.  I love it!)  I would normally have taken the hinges off first, but since they only show when it's open I decided not to take the extra time.
For the tabletop, I just cut fabric the size I wanted it (A little smaller than the table so there is about a half inch border).  I brushed the table top with ModPodge and placed the fabric on top.  I covered the fabric with a layer of ModPodge and let it dry overnight.  I think I did a total of 4 layers. I let each layer dry overnight so that the ModPodge would be totally dry.  You can sand after each layer, but I didn't sand at all and I love how it turned out!
I'm not really not a seamstress and I bought this table thinking it would fit any sewing machine.  Ha ha!  Not even close.
This is my grandma's old Pfaff.  It doesn't even sort of fit. :(  I attempted to sew on this sewing machine recently and couldn't get it to work right.  I have had it serviced several times and it never works that well.
Instead of taking it in yet again, I decided to try a new cheap one I saw at Walmart.  It was around ninety something and I had a 25.00 gift certificate so I really didn't pay much more than I would have if I had taken it in for service.  It was the best decision!  I love my little cheapie sewing machine!  It works great.
Unfortunately,  it doesn't fit my table either.  Sigh :(
To give you an idea of how much of a seamstress I am, I thought I'd share my "HUGE" supply of fabric with you.  Ha ha.  Maybe now that I have a machine that actually sews I'll be more likely to sew.


Come back soon,
 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...