Thursday, January 26, 2012

Covered Mini Book of Mormon

Pin It


This is what the Young Women in our ward are getting for their birthdays.  A covered Mini Book of Mormon.  These were pretty easy to make.  I made them as simply as I could because I had 25 to make. I kept them pretty simple as far as embellishments go because I figure they will be carried in purses and backpacks most of the time.


*For darling, easy copies of the Book of Mormon covered with scrapbook paper click HERE


Here's what you need to make them.

fabric (I used fat quarters) The Book of Mormon covers are really dark and can show through if your fabric is too light or to thin.
Wonder Under or any brand of iron on adhesive (get the no sew kind)
iron on tape (I found this right by the Wonder Under.  Get the no sew kind)
18" of ribbon (1/2 inch wide)
12" of ribbon (1/8 - 1/4 inches wide)
brads (I used various sizes, but you probably don't want them too small)
some kind of floss or jute

Print the pattern HERE
Cut along outside lines.
Match up the pattern so that it measures about 18" long and tape it together. (It overlaps)
Cut your Wonder Under to 18" x 7 1/4"
Iron onto wrong side of fabric.
Trace pattern onto paper side of fabric.
Cut out fabric according to pattern.

Using the iron on adhesive tape iron the 1/2" wide ribbon across the length of the fabric (right side).  This could be right in the middle or a little above or below the middle.

Fold top flap down
Place 1/4" wide ribbon down vertically along the "spine" of the pattern.
Fold bottom flap up over end of ribbon.


Replace paper and iron down the whole "Spine" area to secure the ribbon. This will be your bookmark. Remove paper from fabric.
Center Book spine in the spine area of the fabric.  The spine will not be ironed so that the book can open and close.
Fold the right (smaller) side of the fabric onto the inside of the front cover.  Line the fabric up so that it's even and flush with the inside edge of the cover next to the pages.  Iron the fabric in place.  Okay, that was confusing.  Look at the picture and I think you'll get it.
Fold the top and bottom flaps in and iron them into place.
Now do the same thing with the back cover.  (This one is longer than the page)
Close the book and fold the excess fabric over to the front of your book.
Punch a hole on the fold and also on the front where you want to insert brads.


After the Brads are in place, tie twine or string into a double knot around one og the brads and trim off the end.
Wind the string over and under the brads in a figure 8 pattern to hold the book closed.
You don't want the string too long because you'll get tired of undoing it every time you read your book if it's too long.
To package these for birthday gifts I put each book into a cellophane bag about the size of a small lunch sac and added a ribbon and a tag.
Come back soon,
 

9 comments:

Sandy & Rick said...

What a awesome idea! THank you for sharing. Are these book of mormons the same ones that are given out to investigators? Or where did you find your mini Book of Mormons?

SUZY said...

Hi Sandy,  
I'm glad you like the covered Book of Mormon. Thanks do much for taking the time to email me. I got the books at the distribution center. They are the
little mini ones that are about half the size of the ones given to investigators. They are about 6 bucks a piece I think. They've only been around for a few years. They are great because they are so small. 

Have a great day
Suzy

peata said...

sweet minis.
can't believe you made so many. big job.

make a mini album

Dotty said...

I love my little miss Suzy Q friend. Thanks so much for these!!! Best gift we've given, all thanks to you! You are amazing!!!

SUZY littlemisssuzyq.blogspot.com said...

I love you too Dotty! That was a labor of love for sure!

Chantiel said...

First I wanted to say thank you for the awesome idea and pattern! I just spent a few hours working on making some of these for my young women. I added the book mark ribbon, after I secured it in place I realized that it is on upside down. Do you have any suggestions for fixing this problem?

SUZY littlemisssuzyq.blogspot.com said...

Hi Chantiel.
Dang it! Isn't that the way things go?! I do stuff like that all the time. Everything is going perfectly and then you realize that you made a mistake!!! Grrr!
I think if you cut the ribbon off, you may be able to reattach it by using hot glue if you have enough space between the spine of the book and your cover. Add the glue to your ribbon and then insert your ribbon into the space and secure it to the inside of the book cover. You may need to use a skewer or a popsicle stick to get it in there. Does that make sense? If you don't think that will work, just cut it off and bag the bookmark altogether. You can make your own bookmark out of paper with a great quote about reading the Scriptures & place it between some pages in the book.
How sweet of you to make these for your Young Women. They are going to love them!

Janet Ollman Blackmer said...

I made one of these yesterday from start to finish. Only took a few hours from the time I printed the pattern to the finished product. It was wonderful! I'm planning to make some for Christmas gifts. What I'd like to know is this: how did you cover the brads? They look like covered buttons. I think covered buttons (especially with shanks) would also work, but the brad idea is brilliant. I also thought that perhaps magnetic snaps would work.

Suzy Q said...

Janet-These would make great Christmas gifts! I did you covered brads, but I did not make them myself. They are from Basic Grey. They have been in my scrapbook stash forever. I looked on their website and couldn't find any, but I know there are other companies that make them. I googled "Fabric covered brads" and a ton of different choices came up. Have fun covering you copies of the Book of Mormons!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...