Saturday, March 31, 2012

Ruffled Tote Bag



So Shannon and I went to the Scrapbook Expo last weekend.  (Thanks Shannon!)  We had only gone once before and that was about 8 years ago.  I was SO excited to spend a whole day with my cute sister in scrapbook paradise!  I made us each a tote bag to carry our treasures from the expo.  ...not even close to being big enough, but cute none-the-less!

I saw this idea on pinterest and followed the link to The Painted Parsonage and then pretty much copied Brittany's bag to a "T". Here is her bag. 

 Isn't it cute?   You should check out her blog.  She's got a lot of cute stuff on it.  Brittany got the idea  from Susie Harris

These ones are cute too.  This blog is a darling blog too and you can find instructions HERE

 Making the bag was SO easy!  Just ruffles sewn onto a cheap, canvas tote bag. The kind you get at craft stores and discount stores like Walmart.  I am just going to admit something right here and now...I am not a seamstress.  I'm a crafter.  Having said that, I will now confess that after making the ruffles for my bag...I got out my trusty glue gun and glued them to the bag.  I know, it's cheating right?  Well, I'm all for it!  It turned out cute and I don't plan on washing it so it worked!  Shannon and I got a lot of comments on our bags and it was fun telling people how easy they were to make.  Hopefully they will go home and make themselves one.  Hope you like it too.

PS: THIS WOULD BE A GREAT YOUNG WOMEN ACTIVITY!!! Easy AND cheap!
Come back soon,
 

5 comments:

Steph @ Crafting in the Rain said...

Really cute, and I love the colors you chose! Also, can I just say that I love how you shared where it really came from and not just "i found this on pinterest" I'm starting to realize that Pinterest is getting all the credit for great ideas and the original bloggers are getting looked over:)

SUZY littlemisssuzyq.blogspot.com said...

I agree Steph. I have noticed the same thing about Pinterest. I checked out your blog. I love it.

Brittany said...

Hi, Suzy!
Thanks for your kind comments on my blog and for featuring my bag =) So glad you liked it, and that you made one for yourself - it really did turn out pretty!

acornhollow6 said...

Ahhh! This is a great project! I especially love how you confessed to the glue gun! As I was reading, "glue gun" guiltily popped into my head. Im looking forward to trying this. Thanks.

SUZY littlemisssuzyq.blogspot.com said...

Okay acornhollow6, I'm pretty sure you're the best friend I haven't met yet! Your comment about the "guilty glue gun thought" made me smile. Why do we feel guilty about these things? Haha. Who cares what you used if it looks good and it works? Right?! My grandma wouldn't have appreciated the glue either. She was quite the seamstress. She would discourage my mom from temporarily fixing things by urging her not to become a member of the "Safety Pin Gang". I'm afraid I am a card-carrying member of that gang.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...