Saturday, December 22, 2012

This Year's Neighbor Gift-Christmas Simmer Pot



I LOVE the smells of Christmas don't you?  The pine trees, the cinnamon, wassail...you know what I'm talking about. This year that is exactly what I wanted to give our neighbors: the smell of Christmas!  This is how they turned out.
This is how I made them.  Most of the ingredients I bought were this El Guapo Brand.  I found them in the produce section.

I started with CINNAMON STICKS.  I unrolled them and broke them apart.
I also used WHOLE NUTMEG.  I cut them into fourths.
WHOLE CLOVES
The last 2 ingredients are GINGER ROOT 
and ORANGE SLICES.
 I sliced the oranges and ginger root and baked them on a cooling rack placed on my oven rack..  Cook at 200 degrees for about 3 hours or until the slices are dry.  If you cook them too long the oranges will turn brown.
I put the ingredients in a cellophane bag and added a page topper.  I cut some scrapbook paper (thanks Shannon) 4X6" folded it in half and stapled it to the top of the cellophane bag.  The I added my tags.

You can print the tags here.
One of the tags  says Merry Christmas and the other includes this poem.

Christmas time is here again. Carols fill the air.
A chilly breeze, Christmas trees and lights are everywhere!

The sights and sounds this time of year are sure cast their spells.
But nothing else says “Christmas” like the old familiar smells.

Sugar cookies, ginger bread, cinnamon and pine,
Peppermint and wassail are a few that come to mind.

Here’s a tip to help you fill your home with Christmas Cheer
Mix a quart of water with the contents you see here.

Bring them to a boil and then turn the heat to low.
Your house will smell like Christmas sooner than you know.

We’re thankful to have friends like you who make our life so dear.
Have a very merry Christmas and a wonderful New Year!


I printed six to a page and they ended up just the right size.   when you are ready to print do to "Properties" on your printer page and choose


Hope my neighbors like it.

and I hope you all have a

Merry Christmas!!!


Come back soon
,

9 comments:

Patti said...

We LOVED ours!!! Thank you, Sue! It really did smell FABULOUS! Hope your drive to Henderson didn't get snowed out today!

SUZY littlemisssuzyq.blogspot.com said...

Thanks Patti! I'm glad you liked it! We did get to Henderson okay. It was SO much fun. It's hard to come back to the snow although I did want a white Christmas! Love you!

mandorama said...

My stepmom and I tag-teamed on this project this year and made 50 neighbor and co-worker gifts. (Did not find whole nutmeg, so just put a 1/4 tsp. of ground instead.) Thanks for the amazing idea!

missann1983 said...

I was wondering on measurements. I need to make 15 of these but didn't know how much of ingredients I would need. Any help with this would be appreciated.

SUZY littlemisssuzyq.blogspot.com said...

Missann1983. I would plan on about 1 orange per person. Other than that, it doesn't matter. It's not at all an exact recipe. Just make sure you have a little of everything in each one. It will work. I promise. You don't need much of the spices to get the great smells they produce. Merry Christmas. Have fun giving the smells of Christmas to your friends.

SUZY littlemisssuzyq.blogspot.com said...

Missann1983. I would plan on about 1 orange per person. Other than that, it doesn't matter. It's not at all an exact recipe. Just make sure you have a little of everything in each one. It will work. I promise. You don't need much of the spices to get the great smells they produce. Merry Christmas. Have fun giving the smells of Christmas to your friends.

SUZY littlemisssuzyq.blogspot.com said...

Mandorama, thanks for sharing that will me. 50! I'm impressed! What a great idea to team up.

Anonymous said...

How far ahead of time can you make this, without losing the scent? Will it go bad after a certain amount of time? After it is opened are there any instructions. I saw you post that it has to go in the fridge after opening?

Suzy Q said...

I still have one of these left from three years ago when I made them and it hasn't molded and it still smells great I am excited to use it on Christmas Eve!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...