Saturday, December 22, 2012

Ward Christmas Party Center Pieces (and some rambling about our Christmas plans)


Well, the Ward Christmas breakfast is done and the Christmas shopping is done!! The presents are wrapped all I have left to do is a little cleaning and cooking and a few of my neighbor gifts to deliver.  I'm pretty much ready for Christmas!  Tomorrow Ted and I will do some grocery shopping.  We have a family Christmas party Sunday and then Monday is my FAVORITE day of the year!  I LOVE CHRISTMAS EVE!!!  Ted is going to work for 2 hours which is actually a good thing because it will give me a chance to get showered and ready for the day and get 1 or 2 things done...maybe.  Once he gets home it'll be off to have fun.  We may see a movie or something.  Pretty lame year as far as Christmas movies go though.  Where are they?  Madi and Garrett (My pregnant daughter and her husband who live all the way in Florida) are flying in at 7pm.  Yaaay!  I can't wait to see them.  We will have dinner and then read  the Christmas story from Luke and then open 2 presents.  One of the presents will be Christmas pajamas and the other will be one from the sibling who has their name this year.  Then we all sit on the stairs and take a picture in our PJs. Everyone will sleep downstairs (in their christmas pajamas) in the family room.  Morgan (my oldest daughter who lives in town, but in a house with some roommates) will be here overnight too. We get up and open presents first thing in the morning.  No breakfast, no waiting.  Every gift is wrapped and everyone takes turns opening them.  I like this because we get to watch every gift get opened. At 10:00 am we will be Skyping with Hayley (daughter #3 who is serving a mission in Leeds, England).  I CAN'T WAIT!!!  I miss her SOOOO much!  Ted's parents will come to visit us later that day and we will pretty much chill the rest of the day.  The next morning we will all pile in the car and take our annual post Christmas drive to Henderson Nevada where we will shop the outlet stores for awesome after Christmas deals, bowl, watch a movie, eat great food, have the hot tub to ourselves (because it's freezing cold outside) and swim and enjoy being away from the snow and with each other!  The BEST time of the year!!! 

Well, I kind of got on a little ramble session there. Didn't I?  Back to the ward Christmas Breakfast...I thought I'd share our centerpieces with you.  Sharla and Julie and I were in charge of planning the party.  I love these women and they are both creative and awesome to work with!  Here is a picture of our tables.
and here is a closeup of the centerpieces.
We got the idea on pinterest.  Here is the pin.  It's a bad link though and I never could find the original location for the pin.  We asked for volunteers to help us hot glue peppermints on styrofoam balls.  We made quick work of it and finished all 48 in about 1 hour and a half.  I am so thankful for their help.  After I got them home...I hated them.  They just looked really plain. :(  and my sons wanted to lick them!  Even my 18 year old son had the urge.  I thought, "Okay, if my eighteen-year-old wants to lick these, we are in trouble at the breakfast.  I was going to modpodge them, but instead I covered them with cellophane.  Cellophane makes everything look good right?  I cut up a bead garland and glued the beads in the spaces between the peppermints and added some paper to the base and a tag. Made with stamp and Cricut cartridge Artiste from Close To My Heart!

We covered the tables with paper. News paper ends bought at the local newspaper.  WAAAY cheap!  We had a guy in the neighborhood cut a roll of red and white wrapping paper and we rolled used it on the middle of the tables as a runner.--also cheap.  Down the center is a strand of Christmas lights tights tied with strips of  red and white tulle. 
Here's where that brilliant idea came from

We wrapped out utensils in a white napkin and added a candy cane and tied it together with red and white ribbon.  Yes, that idea also came from pinterest.I didn't take a picture.:( but here is the pinterest one.


We made 48 centerpieces!!! We had several people want to purchase them so we sold them slightly below cost at $5.00 each.  We sold them all and still had people asking for them after they were gone.  So we pretty much recovered the cost for the centerpieces!  The food was totally pot luck except for the drinks.By the time we did all the math and turned in our receipts the entire party cost the church a total of $85.00  Not bad huh?  A few people (including me) gave centerpieces as teacher gifts this year.   I am also giving one as a hostess gift to my sister Kim who is hosting our family Christmas party Sunday.  She is probably too busy to listen to this ramble, but if you are reading this Kim, I'm bringing you one of these babies Sunday!

Come back soon,
 

11 comments:

mnhvance said...

I have a blog called wardchristmaspartyideas.blogspot.com and I LOVE your centerpieces. Can I put them on my blog???

SUZY littlemisssuzyq.blogspot.com said...

You are welcome to put these on your blog. I can't wait to check your blog out.

Prasad Kumar said...

I do love your ideas for centerpiece too. I'd love to pin this up to my Christmas table decorations Pinterest board. Thanks for sharing.

Tara said...

How did you make your peppermint tablepieces not top heavy? I look and mine and think they are going to tumble over if anyone hits the table.

SUZY littlemisssuzyq.blogspot.com said...

Tara, I guess mine are slightly top-heavy too, but not to the point that I'm afraid they will tip over. Maybe you used a bigger styrofoam ball than I did? Or maybe the wood block is smaller than mine? Im not sure. You definitely don't want them toppling over on your guests.

marilyn scott said...

Nice post. Such wonderful Christmas table decorations you featured here, I love them! Thanks for sharing.

Corkran Production Company said...

I was wondering if you could give me more details to the topiaries? What did you use for the base? How big was your Styrofoam balls? How long is your dowel?

Suzy B said...

Cockran Production Company- The base is about 3 1/4" x 3 3/4", The dowel is about 11" and the styrofoam ball is 7". Good luck with your party!

sara madigan said...

I am wondering what type of saw was used to cut the wrapping paper roll in half :)

sara madigan said...

I was wondering what type of saw was used to cut the wrapping paper rolls in half? :)

Suzy B said...

Sara – My neighbor cut the wrapping paper rolls in half with a chop saw. I don't know what size blade. I did notice that he left the plastic wrapper on them when he cut right through the wrapping paper roll, plastic wrap and all. Also, it might be important to note that I used the big rolls I love wrapping paper that you find in craft stores. Maybe it makes a difference when cutting because the role is so much thicker and therefore harder or more solid when cutting through.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...