Friday, November 22, 2013

Comfort Food That Won't Make You Fat: Noodle Free Lasagna



My husband eats this lasagna EVERYDAY! I'm so excited to share this recipe with you. I have been cooking this for several months now and it has gone through many changes and now I've got it just how I like it. Easy, quick and delicious! --Very "Comfort Foodie"!

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees

LAYER 1:
 Brown one package of Jennie-O Italian Seasoned ground turkey in a frying pan.

(I started out making my own sausage from Jennie-O ground turkey breast, but I decided it was worth it to use their Italian sausage instead. It is much easier and because it has some fat in it, it's not as dry. I will share my Italian sausage recipe later. It's way healthy and yummy.)

Add one can of pasta sauce and set aside.

(This is the pasta sauce I use because it's really low in sugar and carbs, but use what you want.)


LAYER 2:
Thinly slice 4-6 zucchini squash. (It's not an exact science.  Use what you like.)

(I've tried doing the zucchini several ways. Zucchini has a lot of water in it and I did not want my lasagna to be watery. I use to slice it with my food processor, but it just as fast to use the slicer on my hand-held cheese grater and much easier to clean up, so that's what I do.)
Spray a frying pan with non stick spay and sprinkle it with a little salt.  (Not too much. This recipe is salty) Saute it on medium high or high. The zucchini is done when it's clear.

(Add a little salt and pepper and it's yummy by itself! This is my favorite way to eat zucchini.)  Set aside.
LAYER 3:
Combine 16 ounces of grated Mozzarella cheese with 24 ounces of low-fat cottage cheese and two tablespoons of parsley flakes.

 (Parsley flakes are optional.  I just like the way it looks :D)
Spray your pan with non-stick cooking spray.  Spread half of the meat/sauce mixture in the pan.  Sprinkle half of the zucchini over the meat mixture followed by half of the cheese mixture.  Repeat this process with the remaining ingredients 

(I make two lasagnas out of one recipe using smaller pans. I cook one and freeze one. Only my husband and I eat this. We eat it for several days and then when it's gone I cook the other one.)

Bake uncovered for 1 hour.  This is so yummy.

click on the picture to open it then right click on image below and save as a photo.  Print as 4x6 photo

 I hope you'll try it.  It's much better for you than the regular version, but you feel like you're cheating.


Come back soon,

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...