Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Comfort Food That Won't Make You Fat-Almond Parmesan Chicken Breast


It's so hard to eat "Healthy" when unhealthy food is so much faster and easier.  I am I right?    When my husband asked me what I was cooking for dinner I said, "Healthy Chicken".  Can you blame him for saying, (and this is a quote.), "Oh, that doesn't sound good."?  He's right, it doesn't sound good.  It doesn't sound good at all.  It sounds dry and boring!!!  Believe me, I have made many a dry and boring "Healthy Chicken Breast". This time though, his comment really motivated me to try a little harder to make a piece of chicken that is healthy, but actually makes your mouth water.  This is what I came up with.

I have to admit that I'm pretty proud of this one!  I Made it for dinner tonight and it is SO good!  And there are zero carbs in this baby!    
Here's how it's done.

Ingredients:
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 cup grated Romano cheese
2 cups almonds
1/8 cup dried parsley flakes (just for looks)
3 egg whites
4-6 chicken breasts
garlic
olive oil

Directions:
In a shallow bowl (I use a pie tin) chop the almonds into a powder and combine with the Parmesan and Romano cheeses and the parsley flakes.  I bought the nice Parmesan cheese form the fancy cheese section at the grocery store.  I got the Romano cheese there as well, but it was shredded rather than grated so I chopped it up in the food processor till it was more powdery. set aside.

Beat the egg whites in a shallow bowl or pie tin until foamy. Set aside.

Place a chicken breast between two pieces of plastic wrap. Use a rolling pin or a mallet to flatten the chicken breast. You can probably skip this step if you are using those frozen chicken cutlets.

Dip the chicken into the egg white making sure to cover both sides with egg and then press into the cheese mixture to coat on both sides.  

Here's a great tip I learned somewhere. Keep one of your hands clean while you do this step.  You will make much less mess.

Heat a frying pan to medium-medium high heat. Add about a teaspoon of olive oil to the pan.  Add some garlic to the oil.  I used chopped, dehydrated garlic.  Fry the chicken till the coating is a nice dark golden brown on each side.  Set each piece of chicken aside until you have finished browning each piece.  Return all the chicken to the pan, turn heat to low and cover.  (I don't have a lid so I used a pizza baking sheet.  It wasn't airtight).  When chicken is no  longer pink in the center it is ready to eat.  Do not overcook or your chicken will be dry and will disappoint your hungry husband.
I served mine with spaghetti squash and salad. I hope you like this.

Here is a recipe card if you want to print it out.  Click on the image to open it and then right click on it to save it.  Print it as a 4x6 photo.


Come back soon,
 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...