Saturday, December 7, 2013

Ward Christmas Dinner 2013 - Let It Snow!




Whew!  IT's done and it was a success! Last night was our Church Christmas party.  I was asked to be on the committee. We were a committee of 3 Me and my friends Julie and Dana.  I was asked to be over the decorations. We chose Let It Snow! as our theme and chose the colors blue and white. Here are some pics and a little video I took. ( You can see the candle lights changing color. )I took before the party.



This picture looks much darker than the room actually was.  But we did turn out most of the overhead lights. 
Remember the strands of lights tied with tulle from LAST YEAR?  We took the red tulle and reused them.  It added so much to the ambiance.  We also used wrapping paper (one roll cut in half) once again as a runner down the middle of the tables.  It's such an easy inexpensive way to add color to the tables.
Julie found these darling plates, napkins and cups at Sam's Club and they were absolutely perfect.
Here is one of the centerpieces.  VERY EASY to make.  I got it all at Dollar Tree except for the ribbon which I got at Michael's and the rock salt that I got at the grocery store.  First, There is a big dinner plate-sized snowflake laid flat on the table.  On top of that is a 12" glass cylinder vase filled halfway with rock salt.  Topped with a battery operated pillar candle (Yes, I got those at Dollar Tree.)  A plastic snowflake hangs from snowflake ribbon tied around the vase. The candles are so pretty.  They actually change colors.  You can't see it in the pictures, but it shows in the video at the end of this post. There were 10 of these per table.  We had 4 tables total each of which actually consisted of 5 long church tables.  
We put about 4 of these little dishes of snow on each table.  The snow is actually cotton candy.  I bought the cotton candy at Walmart.  I made the little "Let It Snow!" tags by printing out the tags below and cutting them out and then gluing a Popsicle stick to the back.  I got the little blue snowflake dishes at Dollar Tree.

Print tags HERE.
I cut the snowflakes at 11" using my Cricut.  The small snowflakes are just the centers cut from the big snowflakes.  I cut them out on white card stock and hung them by fishing line to strands of Christmas lights that Julie's husband Scott hung from hooks that were conveniently already there on the walls. This step took a lot of work (Thank you Scott.) but it was SO worth it.  It set the mood for the whole thing and we heard many "oohs" and "ahhs" as people entered the gym.  That made us VERY happy!

You know how the kids eat so quickly and then get restless and start running around before the adults have a chance to finish?  Dana had the brilliant idea of setting up a table with activities for the kids to do instead of running wild.  
As far as the program goes, Dana passed around a sign up sheet asking for volunteers.  It was a nice program and the food was delish!  Julie was in charge of that.  Yes, we had ham, but it was moist and yummy.  The hams  came from Sam's club and we had several volunteers warm them and bring them to the church warm.  We also had volunteers bake potatoes.  We had YUMMY salad (recipe below) and a potluck dessert table.  I LOVE THE PEOPLE WHO STAYED AND CLEANED UP! Many hands really do make light work!!!  So glad I was able to help with this and also very glad it's done and I can move on. :)

Here's the EASY and DELICIOUS salad recipe.  It was a HUGE hit!

Bagged salad ( iceberg lettuce, purple cabbage, carrots)
pecans
feta cheese
canned mandarin oranges
poppy seed salad dressing

Toss together and serve.




Come back soon,
 

8 comments:

Dana said...

Love it!! Glad I found your blog :)

swankadotklutchs said...

Help!
I've just been called to chair our 2014 Christmas Party!
I had the same idea for table runners outta Christmas wrap! How did you cut it? All by hand...?
I've been racking my brain how i could cut it with a table saw with out shredding the edges.

Thanks... your party pics are aaah-mazing thanks for sharing!!!

Suzy B said...

swankadotklutchs, thank you so much for your comments. I wondered the same thing you are wondering… How can this wrapping paper possibly because it's with an electrical saw and not have fuzzy edges. I didn't Cut the wrapping paper myself, but my neighbor did. I didn't watch him cut it, but I know he cut it with one of his power tools. It turned out with a beautiful smooth edge. Not fuzzy at all. Good luck with your party. I'm sure it will be beautiful!

swankadotklutchs said...

Hi there again!
Everyone I talk to thinks i'm crazy... wrapping paper can't be cut clean unless done by hand.
Could you possible ask your neighbor what tool and blade he used?
Dying to make this work :)

Suzy B said...

Yes! I will definitely ask him.

Suzy B said...

The wrapping paper was cut with a chop saw. I don't know what blade though.

Kate Carter said...

I know this party was a few years ago, but do you remember how you put up those lights? What are they attached to on either side? I'd love to do this for our party. Thank you.

Suzy Q said...

Kate Carter, The man who put the lights up for us is literally a rocket scientist. He worked for NASA and even worked on the space shuttle. Having said this, You don't have to be a rocket scientist to put them up, but I'm pretty sure it helps. Ha ha! Honestly, I didn't pay a lot of attention to how he did this, but I am pretty sure that he hooked strands together to make one one strand. There were not a lot of chords everywhere. There weren't any gaps either so I don't know how he dealt with The space between The last light on one strand in the first light on the other. I guess you could fold and attach any extra cord to itself with zip ties or twisty ties. Does that make sense? Sorry I am not more help. The one thing I can tell you is that the lights made a huge difference. It really sets the mood. Good luck with your party!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...