Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Comfort Food That Won't Make You Fat: Chicken and Corn Chowder



One cold morning not long ago, I watched the beautiful, big, fluffy snowflakes fall outside my window. As I busily cleaned and straightened I listened to the hum of the gas fireplace warming my home...and my heart.  I felt such joy!  I am so grateful to have a warm house to shelter my family and me from the storms of all types in this world.  My family and my faith mean everything to me.  I love being a homemaker.  I love doing my best to make our home a safe and comfortable place for us to lay our burdens and our heads. Please understand that my home is not a perfect place.  We do not constantly eat gourmet meals by the fireplace in our immaculate home singing Kumbaya as we hold hands smiling at one another.  In fact, that sounds a little creepy anyway.  I struggle to keep our house clean and organized and sometimes feel like I am losing the battle.  We eat unhealthy take out food way too often and we eat it in front of the TV while watching Biggest Loser. (I know, we have issues.) We have our disagreements and disappointments just like everyone, but we love each other and we trust each other, we play together and we laugh. We laugh a lot!  We have countless inside jokes, uplifting conversations, we read the scriptures together and we pray together.  I love these people more than life itself!  Our home is truly a sacred place to us and like I said, I love making it a comfortable place. When any member of the family walks through our door I want them to think, "Ahh, I'm home."  So back to that cold morning,  Like I said, the house was warm and I got that hunkering for a warm, simple comforting meal.  We are trying to be better about what we eat around here so I had to be creative. Why give up comfort food if you can make it healthy right?  This is what I came up with and it did not disappoint.  (Except for Kade who doesn't like anything but pizza and Mac n cheese.
Click HERE for printable recipe card




Chicken and Corn Chowder

Chop all three vegetables cook for about five minutes in some olive oil.
1 onion
1 red bell pepper
1 jalapeno
2 minced garlic cloves

Add
 3 or 4 cups of chicken broth.
Bring to a boil for about 10 minutes. Turn back to low.

add
2 cups of frozen or canned corn.
Return to a boil and cook for about five minutes.

 Mix 1/4 cup of flour with 2 cups skim milk.
With heat on low add milk mixture slowly.

Add two cans of cream corn
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 to 1/2 cup of diced bottled Jalapenos. (It depends on how hot you want it.I used about 1/4 cup)
about 2 cups of chicken or turkey. (I use the leftover rotisserie chicken.)

Let simmer for about 10 minutes.

You can eat now or simmer for a longer period of time. The longer it simmers, the thicker the soup will be and the better it will taste.

Sprinkle soup with a little cheese and a dollop of yogurt or fat free sour cream.

Sliced green onions would be great, but I didn't have any.

I hope you will try this on the perfect cold day.


Come back soon,



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...