Thursday, April 3, 2014

EASY Messenger Bag from a Canvas Tote



I have the sweetest sister in the world!  Do you know what she gave me for my birthday?  An ultimate VIP pass to the Scrapbook USA Expo!  Best part of that present is Spending the entire day with my sis!  She's my only sister and we are almost 10 years apart, but we are best friends.  We talk pretty much everyday even if it's for a few minutes.  She is the most unselfish, giving, loving person and I love spending time with her even though we don't do it nearly enough.

This is only our third time attending the Scrapbook Expo.  The first time was in 2004.  We just bought general admission tickets.  The second time was two years ago when she bought us VIP tickets and we had so much fun that time, we went VIP again this year.

As you can imagine, I was feeling very grateful to my sister for this wonderful gift and I wanted to do something nice for her in return so I made us these messenger bags.  I saw this bag a couple of years ago on Betz White and have wanted to try making them.  This was the perfect occasion.  There is very little sewing involved so I gave it a go.

The last time we went I made these bags.

I learned from that bag that we needed a bigger bag that would fit 12x12 paper.  So I made these bags from JUMBO tote bags that I got on clearance at Walmart.  They worked perfectly!



We talked about the expo from the time the tickets were purchased until we attended.  There we preparations and plans to execute.  If you've been to the expo you know that there are drawings, contests, giveaways, and freebies galore and we didn't want to miss out on any of  the action.

 Everytime you enter any of the contests at the expo you get a prize just for entering so I wanted to enter them all. There were three.  A 2-pageScrapbook page layout contest for anyone at the expo, the VIP page layout and a fun card contest.  They gave about 25 or 30 (Not sure) people the oportunity to make a card in 15 minutes using a kit they had a blank card and some scrapbook paper.  Everyone got the same kit and we were not allowed to add anything to it other than ink.  We could cut, punch and do whatever else we could think of to the paper, but we couldn't add any embellishments of our own.  I'm not gonna lie...my card was awful!  I was actually embarrassed to put it out on the table, but I got a free packet of patterned paper for my entry so I swallowed my pride and entered my card.  Shannon' scard on the other hand, was darling.  So darling in fact that it won second place!  I wish we would have taken pictures, but in our rush to get our cards on the table before our 15 minutes was up we missed out on that opportunity.  Yaaay for Shannon!  Her prize, of course, was scrapbook suplies which made her very happy.

I got 4th place in the VIP contest and again got paper for participating and scrapbook goodies for placing. I honestly think there were about 4 entries on that one haha.  My page didn't follow the "Love, Peace and Rock and Roll theme (except for the fact that I quickly added the word love right before turning it in) and at 2am the night before I finally called it quits and went to bed even though it wasn't finished.  I just ran out of time and inspiration.  I got lucky with that one for sure.

I worked much harder on my entry for the overall layout.  I had the perfect inspiration...my darling little grandaughter who lives all the way in Florida.  I just love the look on her face in the picture on the right.  She's so cute! I was so excited when they announced that I had won 2nd place!  Yay!  More scrapbbok paper!!!

We honestly walked out with almost the same amount of free stuff as the things we bought.  I LOVE free paper!!!  I really don't spend a lot on paper.  I get most of it at warehouse sales and the expo.  No need to go pay the high prices at the craft stores.

Do you attend the Scrapbook USA Expo?  Maybe we'll see each other there next year.

Come back soon,
 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...