Friday, April 22, 2016

Relief Society Activity-My 14-Day Journey with Christ- two sacred weeks that will change your heart and bring you closer to the Savior


One of the most memorable Relief Society activities we've had so far is this 14-Day Journey with Christ. 

Let me start right off by telling you that this was NOT my creation.  My friend Betty Jo got this idea from her daughter who did this in her ward.  I searched the internet and to the best of my knowledge the idea came from HERE.on the Idea Door.

This is how we did it:

*  Betty Jo is a saint!  She retyped EVERYTHING and organized it all into a beautiful booklet.

* She rolled each booklet in a piece of scrapbook paper and tied with Christmas ribbon. (These were free because I am a paper-hoarder and I had plenty to donate.)

* The Relief Society presidency gave these out as a Christmas gift. (Double duty on the budget.)

* We asked each sister to do their best to finish the 2 week exercise by the next activity night which was to be held in February.

* We reminded the sisters each week to remember to complete the booklet

* We held a testimony meeting for our activity.


More details:

COST
There are 35 pages included in the booklet so it can get a little pricey.  Here are some ways we made it more affordable and some other ideas that might work for you.

*We didn't take the booklet door to door.  We passed it out at church to those who were there.  We printed 100 books and kept bringing the books to church and offered them each week to those who hadn't yet received one until they were gone.  Truth be told, there are still people asking for them as the word has spread.  People wanting them for family members and friends etc..  Individuals have made extra copies on their own and donated them to those who have asked for them. Now that we have a digital version available anyone can download one anytime they want.

* We bound the books ourselves which saved us a ton!

* A very sweet, generous sister in the ward donated money towards the project. And an awesome couple lent us their binding machine.

 * Staples online could do 100 copies for about 100 dollars.  If you wanted a colored cover it would be about $30.00 more.  That's a better deal than we got.

* If it's just not affordable to print them than you could do it digitally.  You could send one day's exercise (= 2 pages) at a time over email or text. That way the sisters could decide whether or not they wanted to print it or just do the writing in a notebook. (Many of our sisters who had the books did this so they could reuse the book).

TESTIMONY MEETING

* We held our testimony meeting in the Relief Society room which was decorated with pictures and statues of Christ.  I'm so sad that I forgot to take pictures!  I got some white organza panels for WAY cheap last summer.  We used those under and around everything we put out as decorations.  It really looked beautiful.

*We had a couple of beautiful musical numbers that set the mood perfectly.

* We had a talk about testimonies and a gentle reminder of what a testimony consists of and then we turned the time over to the Sisters and they bore beautiful testimony of the Savior and how this journey had indeed changed their lives and deepened their relationship with their Savior.

* We served light refreshments-cookies and a veggie plate.

*I was absolutely thrilled at the outcome of this activity.  One sister told me that she thought those of us who were there that night had bounded in a way that we would never forget.  She was right.

However you decide you can do this, it is a wonderful experience.  I will be honest.  Before I read the booklet I was afraid that the stories and exercises might be elementary or hokey.  I was very wrong.  I loved the experience I had going through this journey and I am going to do it again.
The booklet is free for you to print or download HERE.

  In a world that is swiftly moving away from the Savior and His gospel it is so comforting to know that Jesus Christ is here for us.  He loves us so much and he walks this journey through life right by our side.  He is begging us to seek Him out and to make Him a integral part of our everyday lives. His only goal is to bring us back to His presence to live with Him forever. I love Him with all of my heart.

Come back soon,
 

2 comments:

lbm 3808 said...

Hello,

Could you email the pdf of the Journey with Christ book.

Thanks,

Laura
lbm3808@gmail.com

Suzy Q said...

Laura let me find that and I'll send it your way.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...