Friday, November 18, 2016

How to Roast Pine Nuts in Shell

Oh man! I absolutely love this time of year!!! Everything changes and I'm not just talking leaves!  The colors, the weather, the clothes. Even the produce!  And one of my favorite changes in the produce department is these little guys...PINENUTS!!

When I was a little girl I loved being with my grandma!  She was always interesting to me!  I don't remember ever being bored when I was hanging out with her. She was an oil painter, a storyteller and a fabulous cook!  

She lived up in the avenues in Salt Lake City and I remember one time walking down the street to the Salt Lake City Cemetery and picking up the beautiful pinecones that fell from the Pinetree's there. I can still remember that wonderful pine smell!  Ahhh!  

We took our gathered treasures to her house and she popped them into the oven on a cookie sheet. As the pinecones heated up they all released there seeds. What?  That was so cool. 

I'm not sure how the pine nut sellers do it, but I have heard that you still need to cook them after buying them at the grocery store so this is what I did. 
Preheat oven to 325°
Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. 
 
Put pinenuts into colander and rinse them for about one minute.  
Do not rinse. Spread on a cookie sheet. You can salt them at this point. I salted mine, but I really didn't taste a difference since the salt doesn't seem to permeate through the shells. 
 Baked on top rack in oven for 15 minutes. 
 
As soon as they are cool they are ready to eat! Here's a fun tip. Put pinenuts in a dish towel and roll over them gently with a rolling pin. You will hear the shells crack. Now just pull off the shells and enjoy. 
  
Come back soon,
           Suzy!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...